JI Soccer Teams Win State Championships

Will Shealy, Editor-in-Chief

On Saturday May 15, both the boys and girls James Island soccer teams won their matches to claim the South Carolina 4A State Championships!

The girls team played first, facing off against the Catawba Ridge Copperheads. The Trojans defeated the Copperheads by a score of 1-0, with the lone goal being scored by Junior Kayla McGary and Freshman Caroline Arnold in goal. The girls team finished with a final record of 22-1, winning 20 straight games to close the season with a state championship.

The Lady Trojans finished the season ranked as the number one team in South Carolina, across all divisions, and the 13th best team in the nation. Congratulations to the girls team for finishing their great season as State Champions.

Girls Coach Kim Cohn was named Coach of the Year in the region.

The boys team played after the girls game against the Eastside Eagles. The boys team also won by a score of 1-0, with Senior Aidan Worthington scoring and Senior Grayson Pedone as goalkeeper. The boys team finished with a final record of 16-1-1, winning 15 straight games to crown themselves as State Champions.

The boys state championship run is only further highlighted by the two-week hiatus they had to endure due to exposure to Covid-19 early in the season.

After playing in only three games, the boys had to go straight into region play after a two week break. The team didn’t lose a single game after this hiatus, and capped it off as champions.

Congratulations to the boys team on a championship season and an unreal story.

To have both teams bring home State Championships in the same year is an historic and epic event. All Trojans make sure to congratulate the soccer teams for this rare and incredible achievement. This is a season that will be talked about for many years to come.