JI Boys Soccer Team to Play for Region Championship

Will Shealy, Editor-in-Chief

The Trojans boys soccer team continued their undefeated run in region play on Monday night with a home win over the Bluffton Bobcats.

The score was 3-0 with goals scored by Travis Samatov, Aidan Worthington and Holden Silverman. This win brings the teams record to 11-1-1 for the season and 9-0 in region play.

This win sets up a showdown between James Island and Hilton Head in the Backyard on Thursday night, with the winner claiming the region championship.

The Hilton Head Seahawks currently hold a record of 11-2 and are 8-1 in region play. Not only would the Trojans clinch the region championship with a win, but they would also gain home field advantage throughout playoffs.

The Trojans will look to continue what has been a great season that has seen them climb to second in South Carolina 4A rankings and 21st in the nation.

This run is only more impressive when remembering the two-week hiatus the team had to endure due to Covid-19.

This hiatus not only cost them two weeks of practice, but also most of their non-region games. The effort of this team to rally together and make a run for the region championship is nothing short of incredible.

JI students, make sure to cheer on the boys soccer team on Thursday night as they look to win the region and continue their momentum into a deep playoff run.

Purchase tickets to Thursday night’s game at www.jichsathletics.com.