Baylor Wins College Basketball National Championship

Will Shealy, Editor-in-Chief

The 2020 – 2021 college basketball season came to a close on Monday, April 5 with Baylor being crowned National Champions for the first time in program history. The Baylor Bears defeated the Gonzaga Zags by a score of 86 – 70 to take their claim as the kings of college hoops.

Gonzaga was favored going into the game and had an undefeated record of 31-0.

The Zags looked to become the first undefeated team to win the championship since the Indiana Hoosiers in 1976, but ultimately fell short.

Baylor came in with a record of 28-2, but they very well could have been undefeated if it weren’t for a two-week hiatus in the middle of their season due to Covid-19.

Baylor controlled the whole game, jumping out to a 9-0 lead early and maintaining the lead for the rest of the game.

The Bears were led by Junior guard Jared Butler, who poured in 22 points and also had 7 assists.

Butler was named the Final Four Most Outstanding Player after this performance.

Guards Davion Mitchell and MaCio Teague also contributed greatly to the win, scoring 15 and 19 points respectively.

Despite the loss, Gonzaga Freshman guard Jalen Suggs still put up an impressive performance. Suggs scored 22 points as he continued to establish himself as one of the best NBA prospects in the country.

After dominating college hoops all season and even hitting a game winner in the Final Four to beat UCLA, Suggs has solidified himself as a potential top three pick in this year’s NBA draft.

Outside of Suggs the rest of Gonzaga’s team struggled, which was reflected in the final score.

Although this year’s College Basketball championship game wasn’t the most exciting game, it did generate many interesting storylines.

From Baylor’s first championship in program history to Gonzaga continuing the trend of undefeated teams falling short, this year’s game was one for the history books.