Many Teens See Benefits from Therapy

Bella Wallen, Staff Writer

Many kids use therapy to cope and to deal with emotional stress and issues.

Sometimes, it is the child’s choice, but other times, they can be forced by their parents, or the people around them who care about them.

Therapy has a constant stigma of boring conversations and judgment about one’s well being.

Therapy is conducted in many different methods, such as psychotherapy, behavioral, cognitive, humanistic, holistic therapy, and many more different approaches.

Psychotherapy is changing problems and outlooks based on the deeper and unconscious meaning and motivations.

Behavioral therapy is understanding and learning how to deal with abnormal and normal behaviors.

Cognitive therapy is emphasizing the patient’s thoughts rather than their actions.

Humanistic therapy focuses on the patient’s capacity to make their own rational choices and how to improve and develop the most potential.

Holistic therapy is a blend of many different techniques and focuses on the patient’s individual needs.

I surveyed a group of my peers and with 55 responses, 27% currently go to therapy, 33% went in the past, and 40% have never been.

For the 38 teens who have gone, 21 enjoyed it, and 17 did not.
Many said they enjoyed it because it can help improve or better their lives and issues.

One person said they enjoyed going because “It was very comforting to let all my feelings out and for someone to understand and not judge.”

Another person said they did not enjoy going because “I didn’t personally enjoy it because they didn’t help me figure out how to take action and solve my issues. They just made me talk about it, which doesn’t really help me.”

Another aspect of therapy that is significant in helping oneself and improving mental health is that sometimes, a therapist and patient don’t click. It’s important to like your therapist and to trust them.

As someone who goes to therapy weekly, I enjoy going each week and even though it can be a pain, I understand that my therapist is trying to help me understand and cope with feelings, events, and the future, past, and present.

When I was younger, I went to a therapist and hated it. To put it simply, I didn’t like her. It’s a key aspect in the path to a better mindset.

Local therapist Cheryl Donaldson said that she “chose to work with teens because I had a lot of adults invest in my life when I was growing up and it helped me to look at things differently… I also love this age because you are questioning and trying to figure out how you are and what your values are.”

It is completely normal to be unsure of what is going on in one’s life. “I would say that therapy is like having a coach… It is helping us process our stress and emotions better,” Donaldson said.

Therapy is not necessarily telling what is being done wrong, but it is more getting help on how to improve and cope in different aspects of life.

At the end of the survey, I asked if anyone wanted to add their opinions or thoughts about teen therapy. Many people said that they would like to get a therapist, but they don’t know where to start or they don’t have enough money to pay for one.

Therapy is a privilege to have, as well as being professionally diagnosed. Mental health outlets and help are limited in America, but it can also be incredibly expensive.

One of the students surveyed said, “I think it’s very stigmatized, which is sad. It works for a lot of people but it sometimes doesn’t work for others. I wish there was more help for people that need it.”

Another person responded, “I think that everyone needs to go to therapy, it doesn’t matter if you aren’t mentally ill. It can be beneficial for everyone.”

Therapy can be beneficial for everyone. It doesn’t matter what you’re going through. No matter how big or small your problem is.