Varsity Boys Basketball Season Comes to a Close

Jaden Scott, Staff Writer

Who would’ve ever thought that we would be playing basketball during times like these?

After one quarantine for close contact, James Island’s varsity boys basketball team finished 5-2 in the region, with both losses to the Hilton Head Eagles.

Covid-19 had a major impact on the season, as the Trojans weren’t able to play all their regional games. The Trojans weren’t able to play the May River Sharks or the Colleton County Wildcats.

Other teams in the region were not able to play some schools as well, so the school district decided to make a post-season tournament to decide who will head into the playoffs.
The top 2 teams advance to the state playoffs. Hilton Head was number one in the region heading into the end of season tournament, while our Trojans were number two.

For the first game of the tournament, the Trojans played the Lucy Beckham Bengals. The Trojans beat the Bengals by a score of 79-43.

The next game the Trojans played the Beaufort Eagles, which was the second time James Island played them. The Trojans came out with the win by a score of 79-63.

After defeating the Beaufort Eagles, the Trojans traveled to Hilton Head to take on the Eagles for a third time.

The Trojans were in the playoffs no matter what but, this game was for the Regional Championship. With a win, the Trojans would gain the first seed in the playoffs and home court advantage.

Unfortunately, the Trojans fell short to the Eagles in the Regional Championship by a score of 61-46. After this loss, the team traveled to Aiken High School for the first round of playoffs.

The trip to Aiken High School was close to three hours, and the Trojans needed a win in order to advance in the playoffs. Unfortunately, the Trojans lost 47-42. Losing this game put the Trojans out of the playoffs and ended the season.

Despite the bitter ending to the season, the whole school and the players should be proud of the way they overcame the many obstacles they faced this season. these challenging times our boys still came together and finished what they started.