Are Students Overworked?

Junior+Anna+Sofia+Crews+gets+caught+up+on+her+school+work+during+lunch.+

Junior Anna Sofia Crews gets caught up on her school work during lunch.

Annabelle Lockridge, Staff Writer

The question of whether or not students are overworked is debatable. Many students would jump at the question with yes, but is it valid?

As students move through high school, their classes advance. This means that the work load advances too. Students at James Island spend 7 hours at school, 6 of which are straight learning.

After 7 hours at school, students must go home to do homework. Many students are assigned 3 hours of work per week per class. This is quite a lot of work if someone only did school.

Part of high school is being involved in extracurricular activities and hanging out with friends. Students may be conflicted with wanting to get good grades, but also wanting to enjoy their high school experience.

Some students rely on jobs. Some students may also be saving up for essentials after college. A part time job requires a student to work a minimum of 3 hours a shift.

If a student were to get home right after school and rush to their job by 4:30, they still would not be home until 7:30. This leaves little time for homework, dinner, and any other tasks they may have.

Some may argue that despite the work, the schedule of a busy student is still doable. There are many consequences to overworking students, though.

One downside is lack of sleep. Sleep is essential and a big stress reliever. When students don’t get enough sleep, it gives them more anxiety which can lead to other health complications.

Some stress is good for students. Stress is motivation and teaches students productivity skills. Highschool is a good time to learn how to manage stress when there are many resources to help.

However, too much stress can cause depression and anxiety. It can lower students’ self-esteem. Excessive amounts of stress can cause serious damage to both a students mental and physical health.

Although many students are overworked, some chose the lifestyle. Extracurriculars and sports may seem like “work”, but they are completely optional. Things like the IB program, AP, and honors classes are also extra work, but still optional.

The answer to the question, “are students overworked?”, varies. If a student chooses to do extra work, then no. The general assertion is yes though.

Even if a student only took average classes, those classes would still advance over the years and increase in both class work and homework. Teachers can reduce some students’ stress by decreasing unnecessary busy work.

Decreasing the homework would allow students to have more time for sleep and quality time with friends and family, both of which are major stress relievers.

Homework is still important, but teachers should be covering most of the material in the 7 hours that students are at school.

In conclusion, teachers should minimize the amount of work they assign for home. Lowering the homework will allow students to prioritize their mental health and any activities they may want to do in high

Sophomore Eleni Derigos works on assignments in the library.
school.